"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Stupid storm...stupid fence...stupid dog

This morning started so well.

I actually got up when my alarm clock went off, feeling rested. As I got ready for work, I had a sense of peace. I got some of my Christmas shopping done yesterday, so I was feeling slightly less rushed about that. I found an outfit on my first try (which is an accomplishment for me lately, since very few of my clothes fit anymore… I’m sorry, did you say something about the treadmill sitting in my living room. Ah, yes. There is that.)

Anyway, my hair was actually agreeable for a change. It stayed straight, yet maintained a little body, not looking too stringy. Things were looking up.

Then I went outside to get Toby.

We’ve been having bad storms for the past few days, and apparently the wind blew down part of my privacy fence this morning, making a convenient escape for my little bundle of joy. When I realized he was gone, I couldn’t even be mad – I was too busy panicking. Toby has a bad habit of chewing off his collars, so he was roaming the streets somewhere, looking like an orphan with no identification. We have a strict leash law in town, so I was freaking out, thinking about him either getting hit by a car, or hauled off to the pound.

After several minutes of searching on foot in the cool, misty morning (in wedge shoes, dress pants and a CREAM colored sweater) I got in my car and started driving up and down the streets looking for him.

About the time I was on the phone, on the verge of tears with my boss, explaining why I wasn’t at work yet – I saw him. I hung up the phone, put the car in park and took off after him. Did I mention I left my car in the middle of the street, RUNNING, with the door wide open? Thank God it didn’t get hit — or stolen.

As he got ever closer to the main highway, running at light speed, I started screaming. I guess I was loud enough to stop traffic, because about that time, an older gentleman stopped his car and started trying to help. After much, MUCH chasing and yelling and crying (mostly out of frustration by this point), we finally managed to get him.

Luckily, I had a towel. I had taken it with me when I initially went to get him out of the yard because I knew his paws would be muddy. So I wrapped him up in the towel, feeling pretty smart, and carried him home.

So, my hair that was looking so good this morning, now looks wind-blown and frizzy, and my cream sweater? Somehow still managed to get a muddy paw print on the right side, right under my ribs. And of course, I didn’t notice it until I got to work.

But let’s look at the positive side: 1) I got my exercise for the day; 2) Toby keeps my life VERY interesting, to say the least; 3) it was only misting, not full out raining; 4) it was only about 49 degrees outside – it could have been much colder; 5) …

Okay, this starting to sound pathetic! My morning sucked.

End of story.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just picture it....Thank God he wasn't hurt.
VERY FUNNY!

M

Jen L. said...

UGH!

Melanie Gillispie said...

Murphy's Law. Sorry to laugh at your expense, but it was pretty funny picturing you running around like that! I'm glad Toby's safe, your car wasn't stolen, and that you had an adventure to write about today!

Anonymous said...

Toby's crazy!
LB

Jessica said...

Toby Toby Toby! You poor thing! And it was looking so good for you this morning! I love how you could still look at the positive aspects though :)
I PROMISE i'm going to do that list. Soon. Over the weekend.

Jenners said...

That dog causes you no end of trouble!!! So glad you found him... he is responsible for so many of your greatest blog posts!

Anonymous said...

Aren't you glad you don't have 2 puppies this morning?

D

Southern Dialogue said...

Oh wow!! That sounds similar to the night my cat, Josie, got out and decided to climb all the way up the telephone pole outside my house. Not only was it 2:00am but it was in the low 'teens.' Oh the lives we lead, huh?? Well, Im glad you found him and you got your excerise in for the day!! You go girl! ha!

Diane said...

This made my coughy-snotty-wheezy-feverish self laugh. Thanks for that :).

Andy - Instafather said...

If Bailey did that to me, I probably would have done the same thing, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.