"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy what??

I can’t believe I almost forgot to share one of the funniest stories from this weekend!!

So, Sunday morning before Chase’s party, my parents went out to get a cake. Knowing that they had not ordered one ahead of time, they knew the choices would be limited, but they figured they could find a ready-made cake and have someone write “Happy Birthday Chase” in icing. Except that’s not quite what they got…

Mama was walking around the store, picking up a few other things, when my stepdad came up with cake, trying not to laugh. He pointed down to the cake and Mama saw, “Happy Birthy Chase” in bright green icing. BIRTHY?!? Really?? What’s that?

So, trying to be a polite as possible, she took the cake back to the bakery, where she had to explain to the girl that she left a couple of letters out of the word “birthday.”

And the girl’s response?? “Ooooh, I’m sorry. It’s my first day!! I can fix it!”

And that’s when Mama gave in to a fit of uncontrollable laughter. She had to walk away and let my stepdad wait for the cake! See, that’s the family curse that she passed on to me. We laugh at really inappropriate times. We get so carried away laughing, we can’t function. So she started walking around the store, laughing to herself. I bet the other customers thought she was mental.

Anyway, the girl kind of raked off the “y” and slapped the other letters on there and called it a cake. And let me tell you… it was pretty. So very pretty.

I wish I had a picture of the “Birthy” cake to share with you, but I was a bum this weekend and didn’t take any pictures at all.

However, if you’d like to see some really awful mess-ups, my cousin Jen linked a blog a last month that shows various cake disasters. If you’d like to check it out, click here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had another really good laugh about that. My friend Jennifer told me at Chase's party that the same store messed up her daughter's(pre-ordered) christening cake, she CRIED and they gave her the cake for free -
darn, that sense of humor thing always messes me up...

M

Anonymous said...

"Happy Birthy to you.Happy Birthy to you. Happy Birthy dear Chase. Happy Birthy to you".Mom and Dad thought that was so funny they had to sing that to me.I hope I have a Happy Birthy and you too.
LB

Candice said...

This totally reminds me of my own cake disaster that I posted about a while back.

http://candiceandco.blogspot.com/2008/11/more-fun-with-language-barriers-no-im.html

Happy Birthy to Chase!

Jessica said...

Ha!! I got a good little chuckle over this one. Funny thing is.. those boys probably wouldn't care what the cake says. As long as there's cake!

Melanie Gillispie said...

1 - I laughed out loud here alone in my living room at that.
2 - You sounded so much like Diane in this post! (obviously, seeing as she's my best friend that's a compliment. as long as she's not being mean, of course.)
3 - It's hilarious that she didn't know how to spell birthday because it was her first day. What??

Diane said...

I don't know what Mel means. I'm never mean.

I like Birthy. I think I'm going to have that put on all Birthy cakes from now on!

Jen L. said...

Oh, my gosh, I can't believe you didnt' get a picture of it for Cake Wrecks! Let's hope Dean's cake isn't a wreck...I'm baking it!
That is hilarious. I would have laughed, too!