"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Monday, December 29, 2008

I definitely made the "nice list"

Well, from the looks of it, I was the only bum who didn’t get on and write anything during the week of Christmas. I think I’m finally caught up on reading everyone else’s stuff, so now I’ll attempt a post of my own.

Man, last week FLEW by! It was a whirlwind of driving, laughing, family, presents and foam NERF darts (given to my brother as a gag gift from his girlfriend’s family, but the object of a very interesting night – as Sean tried to make a suction dart stick to his forehead. Yes… he’s 17. But it was hilarious.)

I had a wonderful time in Mobile with Mama’s family. We ate, laughed and exchanged presents – then played an impromptu game of poker. I learned that it’s really easy to bet big when you’re playing with imaginary money. “Yes, I’ll see your dollar and raise you a million.”

Then it was off to Mississippi for a few days (that’s where the NERF darts come into play.) It was great to see everyone over there again. I wish the drive wasn’t so long. I’d love to be able to visit more often.

Toby was a champ. He had a strenuous week of car trips and being shuffled around from house to house. Overall, I think he handled it pretty well. We both slept like babies last night. (Although, I’m not sure that’s an accurate depiction, because I hear babies wake up all the time. Who came up with the saying, anyway? How about ‘slept like someone who drank a bottle of NyQuil?’)

We got home last night to find that a stray cat had taken up residence in Toby’s dog house. Needless to say, he was NOT happy. Although he rarely, if ever, actually gets in it, he became extremely territorial. I think the whole neighborhood knew he was upset. I literally had to go pull him away from the door of the dog house so the cat could get out. He had her blocked in, barking incessantly, with every hair on his body standing straight up. I don’t think he realizes that the cat could have shredded his face if she wanted to. I’ve never heard a cat hiss that loud – more like a scream, really. And guess what? She was back in there this morning. Apparently Toby didn’t scare her very much.

Kevin came by last night and cooked me supper before we exchanged Christmas presents. He grilled steaks, made green beans and squash and cooked garlic toast. It was de-lish. And he gave me the PRETTIEST pair of Sorrelli earrings. I LOVE them! He did an excellent job picking them out.

Overall, I racked up this Christmas. I guess I must have been really good this year! No coal for me. Included in all of the loot was an Amazon Kindle, a Magellan GPS system, seasons 2-4 of House (best show EVER), Burberry Brit Red perfume, my guitar, a Jimi Hendrix strap for my guitar, an AWESOME houndstooth, fitted Alabama tee, some really good kitchen utensils, a pretty scarf, more Mitch Hedberg and a book and DVD set to teach me basic guitar skills. Cha-ching! My family was too good to me.

Ooh, and Sean gave me a box of guitar picks, new strings and some stuff to put on the strings so my fingers won’t hurt so bad. I’m looking forward to trying that out. I didn’t realize how painful it would be at first. Totally worth it though.

Anyway, that is the brief run-down of a very busy week.

What about y’all? Get (or give) anything cool this year?? I’d love to hear about it!

10 comments:

Melanie Gillispie said...

I'm so jealous of your presents! That doesn't sound too charitable, but I totally am! Especially the Amazon Kindle! I'm glad you had a good time and that you made it home safely.

ps...your brother may be 17, but my dad is 61 and he has more toys than any 7 year old I know, including nerf darts!

Anonymous said...

Girl, you racked up! I'm so glad you had a good Christmas and got back home safely. Have fun learning the guitar. Maybe you can play and sing "Happy Birthday" to Dean this Saturday. Looking forward to seeing you.

Love,
AJ

Jen L. said...

You got good loot! We had a great Christmas, too.
Can't wait to see you this weekend for Dean's "Birthy." ;)

Diane said...

Ummm... I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm pretty sure someone mixed up the gift tags and you got some of MY presents. Just hand them over quietly, girlie, and no one gets hurt.

Jessica said...

Hii!! I missed you.. (sad? Maybe!).. but either way.. I'm glad you're back :)

So glad to hear you had such a good Christmas!You pretty much racked up. You should post up a pic of the earings Kevin got you.. I'd love to see!
I got a houndstooth jacket. Interesting story and too long to comment about. Next post maybe?

hebba said...

sounds like you had a great week. Welcome back

Anonymous said...

You didn't tell 'em about your flashing BAMA hat... what's up with THAT? - IN (infectious negativity) aka Grumpy

Jenners said...

Man! You made out like a bandit! I am totally dying to hear about how you like the Kindle. I ended up not getting one so I'm going to have to live vicariously through you! And I love that you are learning the guitar! I'm glad you had such a great holiday and were showered in so many lovely things.

But a boyfriend that cooks a great dinner for you! That must be a best present of all!

Love that Toby is defending his rarely used doghouse so vigorously! You go dog!

I put some blog makeover resources in my post today if you want to try your blog makeover again. Maybe they will help you out. I wasn't sure what approach you used!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great Christmas, wish I could have been in Mobile with the rest of the family. Hope you have a safe and Happy New Year!

Love ya,
Aunt E

Lacey said...

It sounds like you had a busy, busy week! Driving... screaming cats... earrings... AWESOME.

It's way too much fun, but I'll be glad to get back in the "flow" of things, how 'bout you? :D