"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Defining me... all you want to know and more

Weekly writing assignment from MamaKat: Ask a loved one to use 6 descriptive words to describe you and report your findings. How well do they know you?

*Note* One of this week’s prompts asks you to describe your pet. You should know that I seriously considered that one, but thought you all might be sick of hearing about my idiot dog. He’s interesting to me, but I’m not sure how anyone else feels about him. So I will spare you another Toby post (for now.) But fear not, I’m sure he’ll do something stupid soon that will merit mention.


Okay, I decided to make a list of the words I would use to describe myself, and then ask someone (without telling them what words I picked) what they would say. I figured that was the best way — so neither one of us were influenced by the other’s description.

For starters, I see myself as:

Stubborn – I’ve been told that I’m a bit of an arguer, and I tend to agree. (Surprising, right? Someone as stubborn as me, openly admitting that they’re stubborn?) If, deep down, I believe I’m right about something, I will tell you I’m right until I’m blue in the face. And if there’s something I want to do, you better believe I will do everything in my power to do it, no matter how many times or different ways you try to convince me otherwise.

Impatient – I’ve never been good at waiting for anything. I’m the immediate gratification type, which is odd, considering I’m such a procrastinator. If I have something to say, I have to say it RIGHT then. Even if you live in another city and I have to call you five times and interrupt you while you’re in the middle of doing something really important, just to tell you some asinine thing I’ve just discovered.

Loyal – I’m loyal to a fault, even to people who have time and again proven they’re not worth it. If I, at any point in time, considered you a friend, you can pretty much bet that I still think of you that way. Even if you’ve done something awful, hurt my feelings or made me mad beyond belief. And more than likely, I will make excuses for you and take up for you when people say mean (probably true) things behind your back. Because I’m just that nice. Or stupid.

Friendly – This morning I had to go get blood drawn, and while I was sitting in the waiting room, an older woman (by older, I mean at least 90) tried to make casual conversation with some of the other old people in the room. I was shocked when most of them kept staring at whatever magazine they were holding, pretending like they didn’t hear her. (And I know they weren’t deaf. They all got up when the nurse called their names.) Sure, she was looking for pity, talking about living alone for 38 years, how her husband died and her near fatal fall off the toilet this morning, but STILL. So what did I do? I gave her the sympathy she was looking for. I talked to her. And when it was time for me to go, she waved goodbye, smiled and said, “Nice talking to you honey.” I’ve never understood why it’s so hard for some people to be friendly, even to strangers. What does it hurt?

Emotional – I don’t mean this the way it sounds. I’m not some emotional wreck who bursts in to tears the drop of a hat. I mean that I’m primarily led by my emotions. I tend to do what “feels” right, not what logically makes the most sense. And my emotions tend to be very intense. If I’m happy, I’m bubbling over with happiness. If I’m sad, I tend to pout and drag it out. And if you ever catch me mad, watch out!

Nerdy – Not the pocket-protector, math-whiz, genius type of nerdy – I just read a lot. And by a lot, I mean A LOT. I read seven books last month, even with the craziness of holiday travel. Seven books that were at least 600 pages a piece (with the exception of one, I think.) And I already have eight picked out for this month. So yeah, I’m kind of nerdy.

Now, here’s how my mom described me:

Chatty – I agree with her on this one. I can hold a conversation with dang near anybody.

Friendly – SEE! I told you I was friendly.

Sensitive – This sort of goes along with my word, emotional.

Pushy – Ha. Thanks Mom. Fits in the “stubborn” category nicely, doesn’t it?

Unpretentious –This is true, too. I’m going to be me, whether you like it or not. I don’t put up a fake front for anyone.

Pretty – Awww. Isn’t that sweet? I think she has to say that because she gave birth to me. No one wants to claim an ugly child.

16 comments:

Diane said...

I'm still laughing at your 'ugly child' comment.

I think I would use many of your words to describe myself. Must be why we're related ;).

PS... you ARE pretty. Pretty dorky. Hahahahahahahaha. But the other kind, too... xo

Anonymous said...

You mention that you couldn't understand how people in the waiting room could be so cold. I can tell you that I'd have been one of the people still reading my magazine (or more likely playing with my phone).

Remember that not everyone is an extrovert. Some of us (like me) just like to keep to ourselves. There are days where I hardly say 2 words to my own roommates. When I'm getting a drink at the coffee shop, I

Lacey said...

I like your definitions! And it sounds like your mom knows you well! I tend to be really impatient, too, which I've been working on, haha.

I still can't believe the book thing. Seven books! Geez! I wonder if I'll like reading once I'm done with school... If I ever decide to give it a shot, at least I'll know who to come to for good recommendations!

Jen L. said...

Diane cracks me up.

And we are definitely related.

And you are totally pretty.

And good to shop with.

Jen L. said...

PS: I totally did not say you're pretty just because we look alike. ;)

Heather said...

Uhhh, Jared... was there more to your story?? It ends with "When I'm getting a drink at the coffee shop, I..." You what?? I need the rest!! You have me in suspense. :)

Jessica said...

once again..are you sure we're not twins?? Why why why can't we live in the same little town?

Anonymous said...

I agree with what your mom said, too, about your being pretty - and not just because you're my niece and favor me, too. :)

About the lady in the waiting room, I think you made her day. Such a small act of kindness can go a very long way in how someone's day turns out.

I love you,
AJ

Melanie Gillispie said...

I think you and Diane might really be secretly sisters or something! Really. It was almost like you were describing her. Weird!

I love learning more stuff about people through stuff like this!

Anonymous said...

I really like your character traits. You seem like the real deal and I am crazy impressed with your empathy for seniors. They are just not revered like they should be in our country.

Thank goodness for people like you!

Jenners said...

I loved this! I love your approach to it -- I wish I'd thought of that. Besides our short stature and big boobs, we also share the impatience thing. And I tend to be unable to be unfriendly to people I probably should be -- like crazed homeless people. I once let a homeless man hold my hand in a public park in San Francisco for a half hour because he asked me and was so lonely. I'm really lucky that I haven't been killed I think. And tell me what books you have picked out for this month! Fellow nerds want to know!

I think you are really cute, by the way. So I totally agree with your mom -- she is not just saying that!

Southern Dialogue said...

Mom's always know exactly what to say!! Just wanted to let you know I've got a "shout-out" for you on my page!! Have a great weekend!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

A nice profile, thanks for sharing.

Jenners said...

Thanks for you list of books! Totally appreciate it! I guess you really really like Chuck Palahniuk. I'm going to have to check him out.

And yeah ... my "diet and exercise" blog. I'm not exactly talking too much about it because I'm pretty sure it is going to be a dismal failure. Have you noticed that all I do is talk about food I like in it? And it is January 8th and I've exercised once. But I'm going to keep trying. I'm not doing Weight Watchers because I lose it (I mean, it definitely works) but then I quit once I've lost the weight because I'm so sick of depriving myself and then I gain it all back and I'm out the money. I'm really trying to make a lifestyle change but deep down I'm not sure how committed I really am to it. Basically, I just want to lose weight and be in shape without doing any real work. I know that isn't going to work but I'm just not sure how to get there. Diets just don't work for me. So I'm going to keep trying.

Unknown said...

m4o92r2a31 o1x14d7x70 b9h70i2s74 l7c06b0e35 a4l45w1t21 h3b90h0s00

phestay said...

e2x70q3e29 v1w70g3h98 i6f84x0g10 k7l64k0p29 f5w26a5w66 n9q89e2m99