"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Monday, January 19, 2009

Another weekend gone

Is it really Monday already? Wow. Here’s a little run-down of my weekend:
  • I left work at noon Friday to go the memorial service for Prof. Warden. I debated all week about whether or not I was going to take off to go, and I’m so glad I finally decided to do it. The service was perfect. So many people from his life shared stories that were true testimony to amazing the life he led. I learned even more about a man I already admired beyond belief.
    After the service I stopped by and visited with one of my old college roomies. We laughed and cut up, just like old times (“old times” being 8 months ago, when I moved here.) It made me realize that I actually miss having a roommate. (Of course, had I visited with a different ex-roommate, I would probably have left praising Jesus that I now live alone.)
  • Saturday was pretty good. I slept in, worked out and got together with all the girls from my Sunday school class for supper at my friend Kelley’s house. And then bed time came and I COULD NOT fall asleep. I tossed and turned, took a Unisom, and eventually got in the car and started driving around aimlessly. (I usually get sleepy driving at night.) After two hours, I still felt wide awake. I think I finally dozed off somewhere around 6:00 Sunday morning. Needless to say, I turned off my alarm and skipped church.
  • After waking up around 10 (four whole hours after falling asleep), I moved to the couch and watched more episodes of House. I was semi-productive. I worked out, washed dishes and did a load of laundry. But that was the extent of my activities. Kevin didn’t come for his normal Sunday visit because he was at home puking his guts up. (Sorry for the visual.) And me, loving girlfriend that I am, didn’t want to be anywhere near that. I can’t afford to be sick right now. I did offer to take him some Sprite and crackers, but he said his dad would get it for him, so I didn’t press the matter. I love him to death, but wasn’t thrilled about driving an hour to watch someone vomit. I promise I’m not usually so insensitive.
  • I didn’t want to say anything about it until I was sure it was something I’d stick to, but I started counting Weight Watcher points on the 3rd of this month. So far, I’ve lost 8 pounds! I know I still have a way to go, but I feel pretty confident that I’ll make it. The treadmill is finally being used to its full potential, and my clothes are starting to fit a little better.
And now, here we are at Monday. I’ll be leaving after lunch tomorrow to help with some meetings for our Trustees in Destin. Poor Toby will be kenneled until Thursday. And the poor vet assistants will have to listen to him bark obnoxiously and struggle to clip his toe nails, which have become sharp talons of pain once again.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not happy at the thought of you driving around in the wee hours of the morning trying to fall asleep.
When you start missing room mates, call me and I'll remind you of all the things that you complained about when you had them!
Love,
M

Diane said...

Awww... Mom is worried about you. She never worries about me. You are SO her favorite.

Driving an hour to see someone vomit. Now WHY wouldn't that appeal to you?!

And kudos on the whole WW thing! I've got to do something soon, too. And by 'something', I mean 'something other than sitting on my butt eating Little Debbie Swiss Rolls all day (Ryan's on a Swiss Roll kick... so I get to be on one, too).

Lacey said...

I'm glad to hear that the service went well... and I could NEVER have roommates! Ever ever EVER! ;-)

Melanie Gillispie said...

I stayed up ridiculously late (early??) one night last week to watch both episodes of the Tess of the D'urbevilles miniseries (because, what? I was afraid my dvr would break and they wouldn't be there anymore the next day??), and I haven't been the same since. Just staying up all night and yawning all day. I hope Kevin feels better and that you have a good trip!

hebba said...

congrats on the weight loss. Glad you went to the memorial service. have a good week

Anonymous said...

I'm with M, no driving in the middle of the night not to mention after taking meds to make you sleepy. Big No No.

Aunt E

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 8 lb weight loss - you go girl!!

Coachdad said...

Eight pounds...that's awesome! Congrats!

Jen L. said...

Woo hoo 8 pounds! Good goin! Your mom's kitchen renovation is wrecking my weight loss. :( (kidding...kind of) I really do need to get off my fanny and go walking.

I also would not drive an hour (or a minute even) to watch someone vomit. Vomit is gross.

But Destin is delightful! Have fun!

Jenners said...

Congrats on the weight loss! That is fantastic! 8 pounds is phenomenal! Keep on going!

And I worry about you driving at night after taking a sleeping pill. Do I sound like a mom? Well, I guess I am. Be safe but don't drive while drowsy. : )