This week has been really interesting. As I said, I left Tuesday and headed to Destin, Florida to work the annual meeting for the trustees of our company. And let me tell ya, I learned SO much!
- Old people are either really sweet, or really cranky. There's very seldom an in-between. 95 percent of the people at the meetings were absolutely lovely; the other 5 percent? Not so much. Our trustees were given everything they could have possibly wanted — or so I thought. Apparently the abundance of delicious food and free drinks was negated by the fact that there was no honey. For what? Iced tea? I'm not sure. But one woman was very displeased that we had not taken her honey request seriously. As was the man who went to swipe himself an extra four or five Sprites to keep in his room, only to find that the drink table was sadly out of his favorite beverage. Never mind the fact that there was a drink machine in the building. But then he'd have to shell out 50 cents, and that's unacceptable. When did we get so spoiled? I guess that little saying, "Give an inch and they'll take a mile," is really true.
- I love chit-chatting with complete strangers. I don't know what it is, but I love making small-talk. I think that's the only thing I really liked about my college years in retail hell. I love that I now have a job that allows me do that on a regular basis without selling clothes and working a cash register. I'm so blessed to be able to work for such a wonderful company. And the people I work with? So sweet.
- Southern humor is the best! We had a hilarious woman come speak to our trustee's wives, and she was a hoot. A former beauty queen, she bragged that while she didn't win Miss America, she did win Miss America's boyfriend. And it's true! She married him! She told so many funny stories. If you ever need a speaker for an event, check out Jane Herlong. She will have you in stitches.
- While Destin is absolutely beautiful, it's not nearly as enjoyable when it's 25 degrees outside. I woke up Wednesday morning and started a pot of coffee in my room, thinking I'd sit out on the balcony and watch the sun come up. Needless to say, when I pulled open the balcony door and felt the arctic air coming off the Gulf of Mexico, I decided I'd just have coffee downstairs with my breakfast. Here's the view from my room:
- I love Creme Brulee. I do. It's absolutely yummy. If I trusted myself with one of those little blow-torch things, I'd teach myself to make it at home. On second thought, it's probably best that I don't. Did I mention I'm doing Scale Back Alabama and have to lose ten pounds for my team? Yeah. No more Creme Brulee for this girl.
- Toby loves me. So. Much. I don't think he ate the whole time I was gone. And his hair is falling out by the hand-full. I guess he thought I had abandoned him for good. But he was so excited when I picked him up from the kennel this morning! The first thing he did when we got home was run to his food bowl and start eating. Poor thing. It's like he thought, "Oh good! She's back. I can eat!" I hope he stops losing hair, too. I'm not sure how he'd look bald.
Overall, I had a great time at my first Trustee Update. Now it's back to the daily grind. No more seafood or views of the ocean. Just me, my computer and my little cubicle. Fingers to the keyboard. Time to work.