"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The things we take for granted

Weekly writing assignment from Mama Kat: Describe something someone has done to make you feel special.

If you’ve been following this blog for any time (or you happen to know me in real life), you know that my boyfriend and I went through some very difficult months earlier this year. In fact, I called it quits for awhile. I won’t rehash that story now, but for this post it’s important to know that I broke things off and he had no reason in the world to do anything nice for me. But he did anyway…

Somewhere around the end of March, I came down with a pretty vicious virus. I couldn’t eat for two days. I literally threw up everything I tried to put in my mouth. (Disgusting, I know. Sorry.) I went to the doctor and was so weak after a shot of Phenergan that the nurse wound up driving me home. Around day three, I quit throwing up, but still felt absolutely awful. Kevin had been calling to check on me throughout the week. He sounded concerned, but I assured him I’d be fine. I just needed to rest. He kept asking if I wanted company and I told him no. He lived too far away to come by just because I was sick. And he didn’t need to chance getting whatever I had.

But he came anyway. He drove over an hour to bring me my favorite kind of Gatorade and some cream of potato soup – my favorite when I’m sick. He put it all away in my kitchen. Then, with hardly a word, he walked to the living room. As he sat down on the couch, he grabbed a blanket and told me to lie down. I laid with my head in his lap for who knows how long, while he sat there patiently playing with my hair so I could sleep.

Y’all, we weren’t even together. I had broken up with him – and according to him, broken his heart. Yet he still sacrificed his time and chanced getting sick to come take care of me. It made me realize just how much he really loves me, something I had questioned when we broke up. It made me rethink a lot of things. I realized that I took so many things he did for me for granted.

It was just shortly after this incident that I asked him if we could start over and try “us” again. I’m so glad he was willing to give it another chance, because things have been so fantastic lately. We’re really working on a lot of things and I’m happier than I’ve been in a long time.

Who knows what might’ve happened had I not been sick? Would I have realized how much he still cared? Would we have given the relationship another chance? I guess we’ll never know. But if those few days of Hell were necessary to get us to where we are now, then I’m so thankful for them.

Although, I’d be just as thankful if we’d reached this point without all the vomiting. Just sayin’.

19 comments:

H.K. said...

Wow, I didn't expect to tear up reading this! What a touching story of love! This post reminds me when my husband and I were dating, he was the one sick and I was the one who drove over to his apartment and took care of him. He said that was when he knew that I really loved him. We married two months later!

~Thought's By Dena~/ JDs Gift Shack said...

awwww...this is a very touching post...and you now what maybe thats why you got sick....sometimes things happen for a reason and maybe just maybe it needed to be something that drastic to get you to see the love this man has for you...none the less you guys are back together working on "YOU" again..and thats all that really matters....wish you both the very best!!

Unknown said...

That is very sweet and yes, he definitely loves you! I hope everything continues to go well for you both!

Sally's World said...

oh, this is so sweet, what a way to show you he loves you xxxx

heres to a future of happiness together...

septembermom said...

Such a sweet lovely story. He does love you. Keep enjoying and loving each other! He sounds like a wonderful guy.

Diane said...

Awwwww... now I wanna go throw up just to have someone come take care of me. Of course, there isn't anyone but Ryan and throw up grosses her out and my dog is a sympathy puker... so maybe not. Sigh. Great post, darlin'!

Jen L. said...

Ew! Barf is gross!
(Diane, you crack me up!)
I feel much the same about pregnancy. Loved the end result, coulda done without the vomit. Glad it's working out for both of us. ;)

Dan Felstead said...

Heather thanks to you then next time I vomit...I will know that it is a harbinger of great things to come! See...there is at least a little good in everything on this earth!

Dan

Little Ms Blogger said...

He's a definite keeper.

When I was with my ex for 15 years, he never took care of me once. In fact, he kept his distance so he wouldn't catch anything.

I never realized how great it is to have someone take care of you until I met my current hubby. It's the best and makes me appreciate him more every day.

RileyScott said...

What a sweet story. It reminds me of one I heard recently at my cousins wedding of why they got back together. :)

Judge Fudge said...

Wow, that's a great story! Sounds like you're both very sweet. Thanks for stopping my blog, by the way. Glad I could make you laugh!

Lacey said...

What a sweetheart! I'm so glad that you guys gave it another go, and that it's working out better than ever for you.

It' just goes to show that even puking has a silver lining...

Jessica said...

AWww look at this sweet, lovey, romaaanntic side of Heather!
What is it with us girls and taking things for granted?? I know I did as well. But I guess we all go through the hard things (in your case throw up) for a reason.

P.S.
Not to spoil part of my post for you tomorrow *bc I know you're holding your breath* but I'm watching SYTYCD right now. Can I just say that I HEART Phillip and that dance may have made me squeal out loud at one point.

stilettochicken said...

I'm really glad that things are on the upswing for you! I've been in that situation before and it's so hard when you question whether what the other person feels for you is true. I've also been on the other side, when someone has questioned me, and you just want to do no matter what you can to show them that you care about them.

Good luck!

Kim said...

It's so true about the test of a relationship. Love is a decision that two people come to. It has very little to do with finding the 'perfect person'. Kevin sounds like a wonderful person who really loves you. It's so important to know that and I think that you being sick was a gift that helped you recognize that what you might have thought love was maybe wasn't.

You're so young but so wise:)

April said...

Funny how things work out and how we get there sometimes. Glad it worked out for yall and I hope you are always happy.
Visiting from MamaKats.

Jen said...

Sometimes you have to go through tough times to know who the ones who love you are!

Jenners said...

I'm so glad that you shared this story ... I was wondering what had changed your mind. This would do it. It sometimes takes the "bad" times like being sick to realize how loved you are. Good for him. I'm happy for you and I'm glad you are working out your issues.

Hinkley said...

This was a really sweet and honest post. For whatever reason, whether it be fate or active decision making, it seems you two belong together and care a lot for each other. I wish you so much luck and hope it keeps getting better for you!