"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Thursday, June 4, 2009

New career?

Weekly writing assignment from Mama Kat: If you could change career paths now and be anything you wanted to be...what would you be and why?

The possibilities are pretty endless here, aren’t they? But I’ve always been a dreamer, so I don’t think I’ll have a problem coming up with alternative career choices.

Let’s see… OH, I know! What about a treasure hunter? An “Indiana Jones” of sorts – only female (obviously). Is that considered a career? Probably not. I don’t imagine there are many benefits. No 401k or retirement plan. But it would be fun, wouldn’t it? Traveling all over the world, searching for lost artifacts? I guess I could have said “archeologist,” but that doesn’t sound nearly as exciting as “treasure hunter.” But now that I think about it, Indy always had someone chasing after him with guns, didn’t he? I might have to rethink this one…



Okay, here’s another. It would still allow me to travel, but would be considerably safer – not to mention offer important things like medical and dental insurance. I could be a wildlife photographer for National Geographic (or NatGeo, as they’re now called). Yeah, that could work! I can almost picture myself on a safari in Africa – getting up-close and personal with a giraffe. (I would’ve said “lion” but that didn’t sound nearly as safe.) Oh, wait. You actually have to know how to take beautiful pictures to be a photographer, don’t you? Well dang. Moving on…



What about an astronaut! Why didn’t I think of that before? I’ve always been entranced by the stars and have often dreamed about exploring space. I can’t imagine how surreal it must be to look down on Earth from such a distance. Of course, astronauts have to stay in pretty confined spaces for months on end. And I’m a tad claustrophobic, so I don’t think this career path would really suit me either. I’m beginning to get discouraged. Surely there’s something else I could do…

Oh! I have it! And is PERFECT! It’s not really that drastic of a change, though. In fact, it involves the same skill set I already use, only on a MUCH larger, more exciting scale. I could be a journalist for Rolling Stone magazine! Not only would I get to write – which is something I truly love to do – I’d get to meet and interview some the music industry’s biggest stars. A perfect marriage of my two greatest loves.

24 comments:

Nori Duran said...

Now that's a great career dream- writing for Rolling Stone. Ive never aimed that high, but I admit, Ive always wanted to have a tiny corner to myself in Glamour magazine =p

Kekibird said...

Writing professional, in general, would be a great career. Although...without being chased by bad guys with guns and spears, Indy's job sounds great!

Happy Thursday.

scarlethue said...

My dream job is very similar-- I'd love to be a travel writer, going to exotic and luxurious places and writing about the hotels and food and sites. So much fun.

Unknown said...

I could totally see you writing for Rolling Stone Heather! I say go for it...but only if the astronaut thing doesn't work out.

~Thought's By Dena~/ JDs Gift Shack said...

this was a fun post to read!!!! Maybe you could do all the above and THEN write about it!!!!

RileyScott said...

Major props for having Indy and green day in the same post!

I've always wanted to be a movie reviewer myself, which you've read. My audience may be small, but it's there

Strawberry Girl said...

Fantastic!! I loved this post and I really like your blog. :D

Unknown said...

Oh, I just love your creativity : ). I had no idea that National Geographic had a new abbreviated name. Someday I am going to be cooler!

You look like you would be a perfect Indiana Jones girl : ). Here's to happy adventures!

Jen said...

what a great post! those are some pretty cool careers.

in from Mama Kat's

Diane said...

I'd totally read all your articles. Duh.

I want to do the travel writer thing. As long as Sundance can come with me :)

septembermom said...

Fun post! All great dream jobs. I think you would be a terrific journalist for Rolling Stone! That must be a cool and interesting day sitting with the latest rock or pop sensation!

Savannah Reed said...

I thing that would be a great career for you Heather! You could meet all your favorite celebraties.

Kit Kat said...

You could write about your (pretend) adventures doing all of those and then it'd be perfect! Rolling Stone would be awesome.

Over from Mama Kat's.

RileyScott said...

Thanks for following my Blog Heather, hope I don't disappoint.

Jasmine said...

I would totally be a fashion stylist if I could pick anything, or a dancer, or a writer... wait nevermind... I couldn't pick!

Lacey said...

Ah... all of these are great dreams!

Except for the astronaut thing... Just thinking about the lack of gravity makes me nauseous, haha. But if it was like it is in Star Trek, count me in! :-)

Heatherlyn said...

visiting from mama kat's. I think I would throw up too if I were an astronaut. But your post was very fun!

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Always dare to dream and never be afraid of your greatness.

Thanks for stopping bye my blog!

Dan Felstead said...

Heather...Ditto on the National Geo photographer! I can see you as a tech writer for the Times...also a travel writer relaying your experiences from around the world! What a gig that would be. Have a great weekend.

Dan

Dani said...

Wow! Those are some great dreams!

Missy said...

I want to be a pole dancer~ At my weight, i do not beleive the offer will be pouring in!~

Jenners said...

I had to laugh when I saw Indiana Jones. My son and I are playing the Lego version of that game and I have that theme song going through my mind 24 hours a day! So, right now, in a strange way, I am a treasure hunter. A poor one...yes...but I'm getting better on my 30th hour of playing.

I would LOVE to write for Rolling Stone! Cool pick! I love how you talked yourself out of everything!

H.K. said...

I love all those dream career jobs, the wildlife photgrapher sounds the most exciting!

Kim said...

I would love to be a journalist too! I'm not sure I could do wildlife photographer - what kind of bugs would be involved??? or treasure hunter - creepy coffins and underground stuff - yeesh! But I could really get into meeting Springsteen or Sinead O Connor!