"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Life at the edge of the table

This week, I’ve chosen a lighter writing assignment from Mama Kat. Instead of getting deeply introspective and pondering the everyday happenings and interworkings of my life, I will dazzle you with the thoughts of a glass on the edge of the table.

Since I’m magnificently clumsy, this is how I picture it:

“Oh God, I wonder if she realizes how close to the edge she sat me. Seriously, I can see the floor from here. I saw what happened yesterday. A FULL glass just toppled out of her hands. She said it “jumped”, but I know better. That girl can’t hold on to ANYTHING. Wait…what’s she doing? She’s coming this way! Maybe she’ll see how dangerous this is and move me back. No….oh GOD NO!! She’s tripping…she’s going to hit the table. NOOOOOO…..”

Splash.

6 comments:

Diane said...

LOL... were you spying on me yesterday? This is funny... I couldn't figure out how to approach that prompt... you did it beautifully!

I posted another comment on your last post, as this one didn't show up when I logged in the first time. I also wanted to tell you to tell your mom 'thank you' from me!!! And tell her that although I'm a few years away from 50 (very few), I agree wholeheartedly with her about being as old as you feel. Most days I'm still 25 (though my knees are 80 ;).

Anonymous said...

I loved this. You get your grace (sorry) from me.

M

Jessica said...

This is so cute! I am definately not that creative as to write a paragraph about a glass on a table.
To your mom:
Thank you so much for your your supportive comments. I'm glad I figured out how to change my comment settings so we can chat :)
Things went well with my brother this morning and will be posting an update later today!

Jen said...

I know that well. I am so clumsy too. If I had a dime for every time a glass spilled on our floor, I would be rich.

Ashley said...

I have this particular knack for saying in my head "I need to move this glass/soda can before I spill it". To which I'll reply "Nah, you'll be okay." You know what happens? Yeah, I spill it every time.

KatBouska said...

How many times have I re-created that exact scenario!?! Good stuff.