"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Apologies but no regrets

Ya'll, I'm sorry for the previous post. Thank you for the comments reminding me that I shouldn't let stuff like that bother me. I'm too old for their high school mentality - you are absolutely right.

Today will be much happier, I promise. :)

I recently discovered through Hebba that MamaKat offers weekly writing assignments on her blog. I think they're actually supposed to be done on Thursday's, but I've never been a stickler for the rules, so I figured I'd try one out today.

The topic is: "If you could rearrange three things about your life what would they be?"

Once again, I'm going to break the rules. I'm going to tell you why I wouldn't rearrange anything about my life.

See, I am one of those people who truly believes that everything happens for a reason. The mistakes we make shape who we become. We learn, we grow, we move on and most importantly become stronger individuals.

Take my college experience, for example. Around my second year, I had a pretty big circle of friends that I'd stay out with all night - going to bars, fraternity houses, parties, you name it. I didn't want to miss a chance to have fun. Unfortunately, I didn't always make time for class and before long my grades showed it. I got put on academic probation and they threatened to take my scholarship away if I didn't pull my grades back up. So, I had to quit going out. I tried to refocus and be home at a reasonable hour. And you know what? It didn't take long to find out who my real friends were. I was surprised. Turned out, most of the people I hung out with were only around for a good time. Once I quit partying, they mysteriously disappeared. So what did I do? I picked myself up, made new friends, and got my act together. And somewhere in the process, I met Kevin, who has turned out to be one of the most important people in my life.

I learned how to tell people no, prioritize, and recover from losing people I considered friends. I also learned how to have open and honest communication with my parents. I found out that no matter how bad I screw up, they're still there for me. (They might be livid, but they're still there.) We became closer because of my mistakes. It's funny how that works.

Today, I'm happy with where my life is. I have a job I absolutely love and I feel like I'm becoming the best me. I've found a church full of wonderful people that help make me feel at home and I'm finally proving myself to be a responsible adult. I know I can handle anything that's thrown at me, so bring it!

Now I want to hear from you. What mistakes have shaped your life? Do you have regrets or are you happy with the way things turned out?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We didn't become closer because of the mistakes, we became closer because you finally realized that we are not the enemy and we really always had your best interest at heart.(and like I've always told you "friends come in and out of your life but family will always be there for you") Seeing the person that you're becoming makes me so very proud of you and I'm so happy to see YOU so happy. It makes all the bad times fade away...AND aren't you glad I kept encouraging you towards journalism?

Jen L. said...

I was engaged to this other dude when I was in college. (it's true!) Being 22, I thought I could change all his faults (like raging alcoholism. Eventually, he left. Fortunately, it was before the wedding. I don't regret that experience because it made me realize what I DIDN"T want in a mate. And after we broke up? I met Marcus. He is much, much better. ;)

Diane said...

I love the way you look at your life! I've made big mistakes, many of which I'd love a do-over for :), but that being said, I always (always!) look for the positives that come from negative situations... it works for me :)

Southern Dialogue said...

I agree completely with your perspective on life and why things happen. I was working in Sales in a high-demand hotel but had a VERY bad falling-out with my Director of Sales. I was moved out of Sales and into Operations. I am currently the Guest Service Manager at the same hotel and love it. I hire and train the front desk, track occupancy, handle customer complaints and make sure everyone is happy! Despite the fact of how mad I was at the situation at the time, I now realize that this position suits me better...not to mention a nice raise! If that falling-out would have never happened I would not be where I am today! Thanks so much for your blog!!!

Carrin said...

Everything happens for a reason! I quit a job I hated but with people I loved. I had a hard time making the decision to leave. I was so sad at first. Now I'm in a job I love and the job I used to have was eliminated!

bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

I regret, but I don't forget. I might even repeat, but I eventually learn the hard way. :-)