"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Monday, November 24, 2008

Is it Wednesday yet?

Wow, is it Monday already? Where did the weekend go?? It was pretty fantastic, and now it’s over. If it weren’t for the four-and-a-half day weekend I have coming up, I might be sad.

Friday night, I hit the road and headed up to Alabaster to visit the fam. My aunt and uncle and their two ADORABLE babies were over visiting and I couldn’t pass up a chance to see them.
Saturday we went to the new Bass Pro Shop that opened up near Birmingham. It was fun, but opening weekend probably wasn’t the best time to go. It was so crowded you almost couldn’t move around comfortably. Add three kids, 10 and under, to the mix and it could get a little hectic. (But still fun. I’m not complaining.) And in their defense, the kids were really, really well behaved.

After supper that night, I headed back home. I hate that I couldn’t stay longer, but I had Toby with me and I was afraid he’d bark in the middle of the night and wake up the baby. He’s not allowed to stay inside at Mama’s, and he gets lonely in the garage (as was evident by his barking EVERY hour, on the hour, Friday night.) He has a little separation anxiety. It’s like he thinks if he doesn’t bark, I’ll forget he’s out there. I called the vet this morning to see about boarding him while I’m at my dad’s this week, and guess what? They’re booked. Greeeeeaat. Prepare yourself, Dad – you’re about to get five days of Toby. I know you’re ecstatic.

Anyway, when I got home from church Sunday, I decided to force-feed myself holiday cheer. I cranked up the Christmas music, got out the tree and proceeded to decorate the house. And you know, it kind of worked. After the initial frustration of putting the tree together and stringing the lights (WORST thing EVER – next year I’m buying a pre-lit tree) I actually started to feel the excitement. I think the candles helped. The Christmas Tree candle made my house smell so good, it was impossible not to feel a little giddy at the thought of Christmas.

Speaking of giddy – I had almost decided not to even mention this in my blog because SO many other people have already been raving about it, but I can’t help it. I guess I’m jumping on the Twilight bandwagon. I read the first book over the weekend and was absolutely captivated. Yes, it’s probably geared more toward the high school, teenage readers, but I fell in love. If for some reason, you’re trying to avoid the series because of all the hype – give in and go buy them. I won’t make you suffer through all of the brilliant details because a) you’ve already read them, b) your planning on reading them and I don’t want to spoil it for you, or c) you have absolutely no interest and don’t care to read about how absolutely fantastic the first book was. (And it was SO fantastic.)

So that was my weekend. Spending time with family, Christmasfying the house and reading a wonderfully amazing and spectacular book. (Did I mention it was fantastic?) Now it's two and half days of work, followed by a loooong weekend of fun in Mississippi. I am so beyond excited about seeing everyone over there. Is it Wednesday yet??

6 comments:

Jenners said...

I guess I'll give in a try out the Twilight books series since it seems to be the rage. Maybe on my new Kindle!!!!!!!! Yeah!

Prelit trees are definitely the way to go as long as you don't change your mind about what color and style lights you want. Last year I bothered my husband to get those cool LED lights and we spent a small fortune on them and then I didn't really like how they look ... they are kind of flat and cold and don't have a glow about them like regular Christmas lights. But now I am stuck with them because there is no way he will buy another set after forking over so much moola last year.

Thanks for visiting my blog, by the way! Much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you caught the Christmas spirit! Sounds like you had a great weekend, too. I hope you have a wonderful time at your dad's for Thanksgiving. Give them all a hug from me!

Love you,
AJ

Jessica said...

Ahh so many things about this excite me.
1. This extra long week of no work (tomorrow's the only day I have to go in)
2. YOU have decorated before I have even gotten the stuff from the attic. This makes me so happy! You'll have to post some pics.
3. TWILIGHT. Amazing. I'm so glad you broke down and joined the cult. Warning.. the second is nowhere near as captivating as the first.. but it's worth it to keep going. I have about 200 pages left in the last one and I think I've realized I'm putting off finishing it. I really don't want it to be over.. ha!

Have a great holiday and good luck with the Toby/Dad situation! At least you won't be missing him all week!

Diane said...

I'm so glad you had a good weekend! I have a funny Xmas lights story... I bought those icicle lights to hang all around my porch one year... plugged them in to be sure they worked (they did) and the hung them, by myself, along 30 feet of porch... fell off the ladder twice... cursed a lot.... finished. Plugged them in... to find out that the outlet by the door (the only one I could use) didn't work. Grrrrrr. Let's just say that it didn't take 2 hours to take them down... oh noooooo... it took about 30 seconds... RIIIIIIP!!! And we've been lightless outside ever since.

Have I mentioned I have no Christmas spirit? :)

Jen L. said...

Oh, that's right! This is your first Thanksgiving week in the work force. Well, dear, welcome to the LONGEST, SLOWEST three-days of your life! I hope it goes quickly for you. Make sure you waste a lot of time on the internet. I find Amazon.com to be especially comforting this time of year. ;)

Diane said...

Hey, it's Wednesday! Post something new, will ya?! ;)

Oh, and PS... have a great Thanksgiving! :)