"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Go ahead and laugh - it's okay

So, are you guys ready to laugh at my expense? Come on, you know you want to. Just listen to a few of the things that went down yesterday.

We had a company wide pizza luncheon, so the boardroom was filled with people hanging out, eating and watching Andy Griffith DVDs on a giant projector screen. Everything was going fine – we were all sitting around, talking and enjoying ourselves. Then I thought I’d get back to work a little early and get some things done. So I stood up and started making my way down one of the long aisles of tables and chairs. Suddenly, my foot caught something and CRASH. I knocked over a chair. Loudly. And then I nearly fell over it. With my plate and Dr Pepper in hand. And everyone seemed to stop what they were doing and look at me. I lost it. I just cracked up and could not stop laughing. Half the people I work with probably think I’m a klutz now. The other half either already knew, or had already gone back to their desks.

Then, as I was getting up to leave work, I stepped on my own toe with my high heel. OUCH. Who does that? Me, apparentely.

So, I made my way home, ready to relax and enjoy my afternoon. I got out at the house and opened the storm door. I put my key in the inside door and – per routine – leaned into the door with my shoulder to push it open (it tends to stick). Only when I leaned into the door, it suddenly felt like someone lit my arm on fire. Wasp. Or yellow jacket. Or some type of flying, stinging devil bug. I don’t know. I didn’t look too closely. I was too busy yelling obscenities at it while rubbing my arm, convinced that it might soon fall off.

After making sure the stupid thing was gone, I changed clothes and started some laundry. It was raining, so I had not taken Toby out yet. I guess he was extra eager. As soon as the door opened even a few inches, he shot off down the street before I could stop him. Great. So, on top of my toe hurting from stepping on it with my heel, and my arm hurting from being stung – I had to chase my idiot dog down the road barefoot. In the rain. By the time I caught him, we were both covered in grass and mud.

Yeah. Yesterday was a good day. At least I was able to find a little humor in it all.

But I survived. And today I’m starting fresh. A good friend of mine told me that you have to “Dominate your day. Don’t let your day dominate you.” Yesterday totally kicked my butt, but today? Who knows? It’s looking pretty good so far.

27 comments:

Melissa Blake said...

Awesome blog!

Unknown said...

Hope today is better for you!

Jacylann Nix said...

im sorry i cant help but laugh..cause i have recently had a day like this..and it was so awful..i had to laugh! hope your devilish bug bite gets better!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Don't feel bad, I've done that too and it is HORRIBLE.

Sherri Murphy said...

Go kick some butt today! sorry about your yesterday! tomorrow will be even better than today. promise ;:)

septembermom said...

Wow, that is a day you probably would like to forget:) It's great that you have a terrific sense of humor. My son got stung by a bee yesterday too. Hope today is a much better day for you.

RileyScott said...

Wow, I guess I wasn't the only one that had a bad day yesterday.

Hope today goes better for you

H.K. said...

I laughed out loud when I read your post especially the trip you made at your work! At least you laughed about it, but it does kind of suck when people don't laugh with you & just look at you kind of crazy and it has happened to me....many times!

~Thought's By Dena~/ JDs Gift Shack said...

Today is going to be a better day...repeat that three times!!!! hehe I do hope that you dominate your day today!!!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Oh, that's not a great day! :( Still these things come in threes (or fours or fives - whatever) so you've had your share of bad luck for a while.

scarlethue said...

Ouch! I'm glad you found humor in it. I'm a klutz too but I always laugh at myself. I fell down some stairs at my engagement party-- I still think it was absolutely HILARIOUS (after I realized I didn't break anything anyway).

Kim said...

Okay the combination of all those things happening leaves you with no choice but to laugh. I know it's funny how somedays do just take over...I'm proud of you for laughing it off!

Angela said...

LOL, oh no. yesterday was not good but glad you found humor in it all. on tues, my A/C broke, internet went down and cable went craze. I am trying to deal with all this with the house being about 88 degree inside.

Kitten said...

The ability to laugh at oneself is so important. I'm glad that you've got that goin' for ya!

Kimberly @ Bookmark To Blog said...

Great quote. Love it!

Andy - Instafather said...

There's nowhere to go but up tomorrow...literally- you already were on the floor, so you pretty much have to be vertical tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making me laugh today, H! I needed the reminder to "dominate your day". Don't feel alone in your pain and klutziness - it runs in the family. Good thing we all have a good sense of humor! Hope today was better.

Love you,
AJ

Unknown said...

Awww...what a terrible day indeed! But look, you made it through to tell the story :) Hope your toe feels better.

Brigitte said...

Lady Luck sure has her ways...


I think I can relate to this too
but on the bright side, it's always a laughter in the end!

http://lookatmybackpages.blogspot.com/

p-huong said...

I am amazed that you can find humor in being stung and hurt toes. I can laugh at all the other stuff, but bugs and messing with my toes are no joking matter.

Lacey said...

Your day sounds like every day I've had for the last two weeks. Sigh. At least it makes good blog fodder, ha! :-)

Melanie Gillispie said...

You and I must never, ever be with Diane at the same time because I don't think she'd be able to handle the other-worldly klutziness of the two of us together, much less that klutziness on Dr. Pepper.

Thanks for the giggles!

Dan Felstead said...

Sad to say but I am dying laughing at your expense! If you ever pass through Evansville...be sure to let me know so I can get as far away from you as possible! Luck like this rubs off on people! Just kidding of course.

Have a good weekend...stay in one room and don't move!

Dan

Michelle said...

AHAHAA....oh man. I have had days like that too!

Jenners said...

Well, if you can't laugh you'll just cry. And that is pretty bad to step on your own toe!!!!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a heck of a day, hope things are better for you in your weekend coming up. wouldn't want you to hurt yourself befor your big TRIP!!!!


KC

Kimberly said...

Devil bug? LOL!