"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
-- Unknown
--

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Almost rid of the winter blues

Weekly writing assignment from Mama Kat: Share some photos and stories as well as what you love about spring.



(All images in this post are from weheartit.com)

Each year, my heart warms with the temperature as the last bit of winter chill leaves the air in the South.

The dull, gray mornings are replaced with brilliant blue skies. Bare trees bud slowly before blooming in various shades of beauty. Brown, crunchy grass begins turning a soft, lush green. And, of course, the sunlight that once faded by early evening stretches further into the day.


Can you tell I’m ready for this?

Over the last week, the air has been slowly warming. And despite my fear that it will backslide into frigidness again, I think spring might finally be here.

Which makes for a very happy Heather.

For me, simply speaking the word “spring” fills my head with images of sunshine, laughter, flip flops, singing birds and long weekend days outside.


Friends begin firing up the grill.


We spend days sitting by the lake. Fishing. Knowing it won’t be long before we can take the boat out and dive right into the cool water.

Not only is spring fantastic in itself, it’s also the gateway to one of my very favorite things – the hot, sunny days of an Alabama summer.

Which means even longer, warmer days on the lake and multiple trips to the beach. Barefoot days by the water. Ponytails and tan lines. Big sunglasses and lip gloss. Sun tan oil and Coconut Lime Verbena body lotion. And this year? Learning to wake board. Pray for me.


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures...the first one is just stunning! I'm going to have to check that website out.

We are just aching for some serious spring weather in MN too! We're losing the snow, which is an important first step!

God bless Heather!

Jenners said...

I LOVE that first photo! I just kind of stared at it for awhile. The colors and perspectives are just lovely.

And I am SOOOO ready for spring this year!

Judge Fudge said...

I agree with you. I'm ready for winter to be over. I'm sick of it being 50 degrees and overcast outside...As opposed to today where it was 70 degrees and overcast with 80% humidity.Haha

Greener Bangalore said...

What we have we dont want and what we dont we need!!!....you like summer......here in southern parts of India we like winter....as kids we love summer for the only reason that we get 2 months holidays from school ;)....and will be out in the sun playing till dusk....and by the time we reach home......mama will be all set to start her day's discourse on "how to spend holidays effectively instead of wasting time playing cricket" :)... I like that gal jumping photo ;)

suzannah | the smitten word said...

i am so ready! we still have piles of snow in PA...but i know it's coming:)

Frugal Vicki said...

I LOVE those pictures, make me ache for summer and want to do some grilling!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written Heather Girl!

M

Lacey said...

I am NOT ready for summer... but spring is okay I guess, haha. Especially the way YOU describe it! ;-)

Unknown said...

I have to ask - is the girl diving into the water or doing a hand-stand/walk?

I ask because I first saw it one way and then the other. I finally convinced myself that it was the hand-stand/walk since the hair is hanging down, there is no splash around the entry, etc.

In any case great pics. I only wish it was like that here. Snow last night and then howling wind all day today. Send some warmth soon.

Cheryl said...

What amazing shots! Just saw your name at Mama Kat's... Glad I did!

Dan Felstead said...

Heather...great photos and very nice writing...it makes me jones for summer even more...bring it on as soon as possible!

Dan

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

There's nothin' like bringin' out the flippy floppies...and going on a boat perhaps.

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

You're funny, it's not even quite spring yet and you are already looking forward to summer!

Visiting from Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.

pmartin3z said...

I'm right there with you girl! I just love the summer weather. This Rainy Day Blue stuff isn't treating me well! Heather you always leave me captivated with your writing, I just love how descriptive you are with everything! PLEASE DON'T STOP! ;)